Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 5

Saturday


I get behind the wheel of a car and just can’t stop. I am not sure, but I think I drove almost or more than 900 miles today. Didn’t walk in Memphis, didn’t see where the King of rock and roll is laid to rest. But, that is okay; I rationalized, that in reality, I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed a tourist-y attraction like Graceland. I began to envision, masses of rednecks, wearing sweatpants carrying 7-11 Big Gulp cups full of soda pop (diet of course) ooo-ing and awe-ing Over Elvis’ possessions. Less is more.

On a positive note, in my attempt to be at Graceland, I did accomplish the goal of physically being present in all of the states west of the M.I.S.S.I.S.S.I.P.P.I River at least once in my life so far. I love to drive across the United States, I have done it, I don't even know how many times in my life so far. The beauty within the lanscape never fails to put me in awe of each and every region I travel through. Today I stood on the edge of a cornfield and in the distance I could see a combine work the spring wheat field. As night fell, I was able to distinguish the fires across the countryside as the farmers prepared the fields for planting, burned off the stubble left from the combines work. The smell of fresh dirt and sweet grass is intoxicating. Just as stimulating to the senses as the smell of the sea.







States I have been to-

Washington
Oregon
California
Arizona
Nevada
Idaho
Utah
New Mexico
Colorado
Wyoming Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Illinois
Wisconsin
Michigan
Indiana
New York

States I have not been to (yet) -
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Connecticut
New Jersey
Rhode Island
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Maryland
Delaware
Ohio
West Virginia
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina

1 comment: